About IU AGEP

Indiana University is made up of eight campuses statewide. Most offer several graduate degrees and all together support around 17,000 graduate students. Our flagship campus is in picturesque Bloomington, Indiana. Our medical school and many other graduate degrees are housed at our city campus, Indiana University - Purdue University in Indianapolis.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Compact for Faculty Diversity

The Institute on Teaching and Mentoring: Compact for Faculty Diversity was held on Oct. 25-28, 2007 at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Virginia. Topics discussed included “Writing the Dissertation” to “Balancing Academic Substance with a Polished Presentation”. Conferences are hosted by the institute to further establish their goal of increasing the number of underrepresented minorities earning a doctoral degree and successfully becoming faculty. Four students from Indiana University-Bloomington campus, G. Leah Davis, Yasmiyn Irizarry, Melissa Quintela, and Rose Wilkerson, attended the conference. Their experiences are highlighted below:

For more information on the Institute on Teaching and Mentoring: Compact for Faculty Diversity visit http://www.instituteonteachingandmentoring.org/index.html



It was very empowering to be in the company of over 1,000 minority academics that had either earned a Ph.D. or was pursuing one….The struggles that I have experienced as an African American woman pursuing a Ph.D. at a predominately white university were validated, and I left the Institute feeling empowered.”

G. Leah Davis, IU graduate student


As is common for a first generation, graduate student of color at a “good school” in the Midwest, I had always felt a little isolated in my department and on my campus…... I never knew there were so many students of color pursuing their Ph.D.s. I was able to look out onto a sea of faces that looked like mine and finally feel confident that there IS a place for me when I graduate.”

Melissa Quintela, IU graduate student

The program laid out three days of networking, socializing, and learning that catered to students at all levels of their graduate careers. … Sessions covered topics ranging from strategies for dealing with exams and dissertation writing, to networking and life in the professoriate as a person of color...It was overwhelming to realize that there were so many students of color working towards careers in the professoriate. And while the conference offered an almost overwhelming amount of opportunities, knowing I was not alone in my trek towards a PhD was the most important thing I learned that weekend.”

Yasmiyn Irizarry, IU graduate student



“All in all, the 14th Annual Institute on Teaching and Mentoring was a very powerful experience on many levels both personally and professionally. It provided me with fuel and fire to continue on my journey so that I can be of real service in my field. If you have not had a chance to attend this conference, I highly recommend it.”

“Do not miss this opportunity next year.”

Rose Wilkerson, IU graduate student