The 3rd Annual LSAMP/AGEP Joint Research Conference was held on Nov. 9 - 10, 2007 at the Indiana University Memorial Union-Bloomington. This year's conference theme, "Changing the Face of STEM", provided a forum where undergraduate and graduate students could present their research to faculty and peers. Administrators and program staff disseminated best practices and strategies to help in the recruitment and retention of underrepresented minority students. Last semester's conference had a record setting attendance of 114 students and 72 faculty and administrators.
Unplugged: What to expect (Michael Thompson, Indiana University, Mariah Veit, Purdue, and Melvin Daniels, Northwestern University) Grad School
- Balancing life and Academia (Dean Carol McCord)
- Cultural Competency (Dr. Monica Medina, Indiana University Purdue University)
- Funding Opportunities for
(Dr. Pamella Shaw, AGEP/LSAMP director, Indiana University Purdue University) Grad School
- Diversity Matters in the Classroom (Dr. Cheryl Judice, Northwestern University)
- Life as a Postdoc
- Writing Personal Statements and CVs
- Pros of Academia and Industry Careers
One student commented: "I really enjoyed the diversity session with Dr. Cheryl Judice, [Northwestern University AGEP Director]. The group had a very engaging discussion and the session revealed many challenges that a person of color can face in the classroom, either as a teacher or student."